This album is a collection of covers by mostly lesser known Chicago songwriters, with the exception of Chicago's own Michael McDermott, Neil Young, and Patrick Behan. Phil Circle performs all the songs with the help of local musicians in Wisconsin's Chippewa Valley, where the album was recorded at Pine Hollow.
Harvest Moon by Neil Young is performed by Phil Circle and Gordy Bischoff (Bischoff Guitars) on a specially made Bischoff Ukulele. The Patriot Game, a classic Irish rebel tune, is performed on a baritone guitar by co-producer Evan Middlesworth with Circle's vocals. No Closer To Home was written by one of Phil Circle's students who had just previously released his debut album of the same name. Several of the artists whose music is covered here commented that Circle's versions spoke with as much truth as their own.
The Unsung - Phil Circle (2013) Download
- No Closer to Home (by Mark Taylor)
- Infared (by Jeff Churchwell)
- L.S.D. Survival Song (by Ted Wulfers)
- Born Into Money (by Scottish McMillian)
- Harvest Moon (by Neil Young)
- The Patriot Game (by Dominic Behan)
- Carry Your Cross (by Michael McDermott)
- Prelude to The Afternoon of a Horny Salamander in F# Minor (by Lem Roby with Jack Salamander)